Personal Motto

Personal Motto

Lego Book Rating Guide

Lego Book Rating Guide

Saturday, March 23, 2013

Die for Me (Revenants #1) by Amy Plum

Title: Die for Me
Series: Revenants #1
Author: Amy Plum 
Book Description: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9462812-die-for-me


Overall Rating: 
I have been wanting to read this book since I saw the amazing cover and read the description. But I am a bit spoiled see, once I know a book will be the first in a series, I try to put off reading it until a few more books are out in the series. That way, I don’t have to face my anger management issues when I am faced with an intense cliffhanger ending and the next book isn’t out for a year or so. I simply get to move along to the next book. So I finally finished reading this book.

I will save you the book description because obviously there is one you can read from goodreads. Here are my rankings(based on my kitty paw grading system at the top of my blog site) on what I believe to be the most important elements of a book:
                                                            
                                                              Originality/Creativity: 
There are a lot of books out there with supernatural beings (my favorite type of books), but most have the traditional supernatural things we are used to: vampires, werewolves, etc. I was not sure what to expect but was pleasantly surprised by the idea of the supernatural beings in this book: revenants. It was a fresh take on immortal beings and I very much appreciated that. The ideas were complex but not too much to where you couldn’t understand or follow the story line. So for that, this book gets 5 kitty paws!


Complexity of Characters/Storyline: 
The book was pretty straight forward with the characters, so I felt there was not a whole lot of mystery when it came to the characters. The main character, Kate, has suffered the loss of her parents and together with her sister, moved to Paris with their grandparents. Vincent is Kate’s love interest. Not a huge amount of his past was revealed until later in the book and even at that, I wish that the author would have elaborated more on his history. That would have been so fascinating, and I can only hope that the next books will do that. The other characters (mainly Vincent’s “kin”) were introduced, however not with much depth. Again, I guess we just have to wait and see…….. 

The romance aspect between Kate and Vincent was so/so for most of the book, you don’t really get that girly swooning feeling about them until the end of the book (at least for me). I wasn’t wowed by the romance but at the same time, I can’t stand the gooshy kissy kissy stuff which this book didn’t have (thank you little baby Jesus in a manger).
                                                              
                                                                  Quality of writing: 
The author writes with ease and it is not hard to follow the story. Use of vocabulary is not super complex which I believe fits with the story. Being that the story is taking place in France, I believe the author could have thrown in a little more French, but not so much that we would require a dictionary to read the book.

Action/Suspense: 
Action, adventure, and suspense (for me) is the most important part of a book. Seriously, that is what makes it entertaining, right? This is where the book let me down. There was an itty bitty bit of action (BARELY) here and there, nothing I felt that really pulled me into the book. Honestly, I continued to read just because I felt I owed it to myself because I waited so long to read it. I read this book on my Kindle, and when I FINALLY got to the biggest action scene, I looked down and saw that I was over 80% of the way through the book. That really pissed me off. Ridiculous. I felt cheated! The last action scene was ok, nothing that made you feel intense relief from being saved from impending doom after the action scene was done. Based on this, I honestly don’t know if I can bring myself to read the next books in the series which is a huge let down since the next two will be released this year.

Would I recommend this book to my friends? Probably not. There are a ton of other books out there that I would put priority over this one. Since I am an avid reader, I might decide to finish the series. The concept of Revenants is such a great idea, I am a bit curious to read on and see the author is able to develop it further and hit a home run on the rest of the series. But certainly not today.


No comments:

Post a Comment